My advice on this front is the very first thing you do before you make any
sale is invest in getting proper, lawyer-speak terms and conditions drawn
up. If you don't have proper terms and conditions in place then your
contracts are pretty useless and subsequently your ability to recoup any
costs via legal means is very limited.

Front and centre in any terms and conditions is the clause that the client
will be liable for any costs incurred in recovering late fees or debts.

The threat of legal action doesn't always motivate people, but if they know
that by putting you off they're going to cost themselves even more money
you're likely to get much better response.

I recommend these guys: http://www.eccreditcontrol.com. We paid a couple of
grand and they did our terms and conditions and for that price also gave us
a coupon book for our first ten debt retrievals or something similiar. You
know their going to do a good job because the better their terms and
conditions the easier it makes them to get the money. I think I'd be many
tens of thousands of dollars in front if I'd have done this up front and its
much easier to start with proper terms then try and move your clients to
them later in the peace as we're finding ourselves having to do.

Phil Sim
Chief Executive Officer,
MediaConnect Australia Pty Ltd
www.mediaconnect.com.au