<quote who="Sriram Panyam">

> My whinge is who are they are to "not want to share the data"... how are
> the officials allowed to get away with it, especially if it is public
> data?

No one's "getting away with" anything, there just isn't an existing policy
or convention laid out that ensures this is done as a matter of course. If
an agency isn't given requirements like this, they won't be on the agenda,
and no one will be given the responsibility to do so.

The most useful things you can do are: a) respectfully advocate for open
data approaches when you work with agencies and speak with members of the
public service, b) ensure your elected representatives know that you think
this is important (to you and your business), and c) fund or facilitate
academic research into the broader social and economic impact of open data
(I'm completely serious about this one).

- Jeff

--
Robot Parade                                  http://www.robotparade.com.au/

  m. +61 423 989 818     b. http://bethesignal.org/     p. +61 2 9043 2940