No arguments, but where we need to focus is opening up the angel
community. We need people who have been there, done that to have the
opportunity to sift through the ideas and put a bit of mentoring and
money behind them.

The Australian VC industry should be doing its part to encourage this
as well, and would do well to put some money into some angel-level
fund because they would get a lot greater number of companies making
it through to that level where you justify VC exposure.

Mick, as you'd know having done Techcrunch, an event like that is just
swarming with angel-level investors and the difference between that
environment and what we have here in Australia is so opposite it's not
funny. Until we start a circular effect of our successful people,
putting back into the ecosystem, this whole ecosystem can never, ever
take hold and prosper. If you look at every single successful start-up
centre, this is exactly what they have.

Every person on this list should be making a pact to themselves that
if they do hit a paydirt, they will give back to the community by
putting some time and money into at least one local startup. Thats why
I think we so need an event that focuses on connecting angels and
startups in this way. because it's all very well to say hit up family
and friends for tens of thousands of dollars, but not everyone is in
that position to be able to do that (I'll stop now before I get into
my rant about how this country is going further and further down the
path of locking people into class structures!)

Phil Sim
Chief Executive Officer,
MediaConnect Australia Pty Ltd
www.mediaconnect.com.au