Great discussion. My very late and loopy thoughts.

It should be for-profit. Micro-finance works because it is a loan not
a donation.

Seriously forget about VC's. If they knock on your door, great, but
otherwise, just do what every you can to build your business. I guy I
saw talk last night gave the order of investment from smallest to
biggest like this;

FFF - family friends and fools.
Angel - generally people in your network (or the network you make) who
have made it rich and get excited by your enthusiasm.
Incubator - if they are around.
Gov grant - good once you're going. Often dollar for dollar matching.
Prof. Investor - like an angel who acts more like a VC.
Bank - seriously. If you're making money, you can go to a bank.
VC - note, that this is below banks. So if you think the bank wouldn't
lend you money, then VC's probably won't either.
Priv equity - like roving gangs of professional investors with
management.
IPO - remember those?
Buyout funds - mega big boys.

I've come to realise that most good businesses, that make money and
bring wealth to the founders are fairly boring, behind the scenes,
unknown brands. Because we see Youtubes, Skypes, Googles, Dodgeballs,
MyBlogLog that's how we come up with ideas and follow the path. I know
I did. But it really doesn't happen often. I agree that VC's are the
most visible, and that's what we hear funds the big wins, but they are
just the ones we hear about. I also agree that angels are not visible,
but I'm not sure I'd want to be visible either.

I'm sort of seeing building the big home run hit consumer startup is
like trying to be U2. If you love being an entrepreneur, then you love
creating businesses (music), getting customers (fans) and doing it
year in year out (touring?).

(more raving...)

That being said, if you're passionate and have built a good
foundation, or done lots of lots of lots of lots of research, then you
might just be able to find someone to invest in you (not your
business). I reckon it takes about 100 cups of coffee. The first 50 to
tell a good story and the next 50 to find the person who gets turned
on by that story and has the $$$ to take a bet.

Feel free to ask me for that cup of coffee. I'm certainly no guru, and
I don't have millions to invest but I certainly have failed an awful
lot, so perhaps I act more as a warning to others? :-)

Back to Pollenating.