Well here is my perspective
- I did no science and all history/humanities in my final year of school
- I did accounting and finance at university, and am now a chartered
accountant working in financial services
- I got my first lessons in programming in python and javascript recently
(hat tip to Pamela Fox for taking the time!)

...and I loved programming.

The reason is quite simple, and I have found a similar parallel when I am
stuck in spreadsheets working on something to create analysis or producing a
report interpreting the world: it engages your mind. Anything that forces
your mind to think, and blocks out the outside world as you are thinking, is
fun to do.

People love to be challenged, because it creates excitement. That feeling of
engagement creates an emotion which becomes addictive like a drug. The whole
creative process is part of it, and I agree with what Nick and Ozran have
said - but ultimately, it's about that emotion generated. That's not
something restricted to the world of programming.

Elias Bizannes
http://liako.biz