Hi Nick,
The R&D Tax Concession (for loss-making and profit-making co's) isn't
new.
Here's a guide to the one that's been in force (link below).
I claimed as a loss-making co a couple of years ago and got $45 back.
I think I've posted on this here before.
I needed to have more than $20K in eligible R&D expenditure in the
year.
That includes salaries, contractors' fees, rent, equipment
etc......it's pretty liberal.
The only major item I couldn't claim was patent costs, which they
considered commercial rather than R&D.
I had some really good advice from Michael Johnson & Associates on
this.

The only bummer with this arrangement was that there's a clawback
setup whereby - once you've claimed once - you have to then spend a
multiple of your previous claim/spend before you're eligible to claim
again.
I have no idea how closely the letter of the new arrangement will
follow the existing one.
My accountant knew nothing about this stuff.
John Haining from MJA is all over this stuff........he'd be a great
guy to talk to.
I'm sure he's in this group.
www.ausindustry.gov.au/InnovationandRandD/RandDTaxConcession/Pages/GuidetotheRDTaxConcession.aspx

Cheers,