One thing that the US govt does well is to be a major customer for its
technology companies. Does the Australian govt do the same? Whilst I'm
not a fan of mindless "buy Aussie" jingoism, Australian public sector
IT managers tend to be very conservative in their purchasing habits
and openness to experimentation is the exception not the rule (I
remember a 2007 conversation when I worked in federal govt where I was
told that of course we could implement a wiki... in 2010). Anyways
this support would be a drop in the ocean - the 2008 US Defense Dept
budget was about 3/4 of Australia's total GDP for that year. There's
another rant about the inflexible nature of government procurement
processes but enough for tonite.

Along with mmp1, I'm not sure that the "ICT" label is very helpful -
as that includes everyone from Telstra to the proverbial small guy in
the garage. It's like lumping Thiess and Michelangelo together in the
"Doing Things With Stone" sector and then trying to create policies
applicable to both.

However I have to disagee with mmp1 about Ireland, that model works
when you are a relatively low cost country near an expensive
continent. Unfortunately we are an expensive country near(ish) a low
cost contintent. And Ireland is now in pretty bad shape - Romanians
are a lot cheaper than Irishmen.

That said I think the Public Sphere initiative is an interesting one.
But it raises a question for me. What does the government think that a
healthy ICT sector looks like?