Hi Sameul,

Have heared two arguments:

1. Focus on one and only one single product, bust your chops to get to
beta.
2. Accept projects as contract/subcontract and gradually build IP on
the side/over time.

Both have their appeal.  I know of an entertainment software company
that used option #2 very well.  Most IT smart folk I talk to however
prefer option 1, which makes sense if your product can be brought to
market in reasonably short time (6-months?).  I was told recently that
funders will see startups taking option #2 in a negative light (and
that's very understandable).  But at the end of the day... you have to
eat.  I'm closer to option 2 because my market has very high technical
barriers to entry.  If I tried option #1 I'ld be divorced, starving,
and living with my mother surrounded by cats :)

So taking subcontracts allowed me to progress the R&D aspects, publish
papers, build a little marketing momentum, all without starving.  Risk
here occurs if your job opportunities start pulling you too far away
from your company's original vision/mission.

Cheers,
Jason