I think one common thread amongst startup transactions (or non-
financially valued transactions) is that the acquiree company is
bought and not sold. That is, a larger company decides to buy the
startup for whatever strategic rationale versus a startup deciding it
will like to sell at time X and then going out and looking for offers.
The latter is certainly possible although you are likely to get a very
low amount if you have not had prior interactions.

So I think the first thing is purely establishing a relationship with
potential buyers and then trying to strike a partnership. A lot of the
interviews of startups that have been acquired by larger firms said
they started with a partnership discussion (walk before you run/date
before you have sex). The two are very intertwined. So in terms of not
seeming desperate I would start pitching a partnership and your ideas
of how you can improve their business (and only then talk about your
business and how it can help).

Once you have a bonifide offer that is when is most useful to appoint
an investment banker to make sure the process runs to a set time line
and also to create demand (but it's a lot easier if you have one
extremely motivated buyer to anchor negotiations). Here are some more
thoughts on that by Fabrice Grinda (founder of OLX):
http://www.fabricegrinda.com/?p=28