On May 12, 11:41 am, Nathan de Vries <nat...@atnan.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2010, at 4:01 PM, Tim Bull wrote:
>
> > You only need an ABN to collect GST.
>
> If you don't register for an ABN and provide goods or services, when
> customers / clients pay your invoices they need to deduct 48.5% and
> pay it to the ATO on your behalf. Good luck running a business like
> that.

As I've pointed out, he should get advice and understand the reasons
for all sorts of pros and cons.

My point is not that NOT having an ABN is a good idea, simply that he
doesn't need even an ABN to get close to his customers and validate a
business idea.

Clearly when he's likely to have customers an ABN is a very logical
first step.