Communities of good developers are usually quite easy to find -- we congregate
regularly at the various developer meetups around the city. Most big cities
have perl, python, ruby, .NET, Java user groups... turn up and network. We can
be a bit of a cliquey bunch, but that's more because we're unaccustomed to
schmoozing and more used to doing things online. So, that bit's up to you.

One more thing -- cheap developers can often be a false economy. Paying 1/4 the
hourly rate makes no sense if the job is done in 5x the time and at a lower
quality. Unlike some other industries where the gap between a good and a bad
professional may be relatively slim, the impact on a project of a dud or a star
developer is massive. Of course, there are bad developers who also demand high
rates, too, and it's up to the entrepreneur to choose wisely. So, there's no
substitute for networking and exercising good judgment.

Cheers,

 - alex.

Alex Cooper         m: 0402 024 304         w: http://acooper.org/         t:
@kuperov