Startmate and its peers are (economically speaking) tournaments. Read
Freakanomics for some amusing comparison with crack dealers. Many
industries have an 800 pound gorilla that looks great, generate
copious press (Apple, Facebook etc), generate shitload of cash, and
power/influence (see OReillys Web 2.0 points of control), but the
route to get there is very difficult. Most people will not get
anywhere near there, so in technology you often end up with a winner
takes all (or oliopoly). The actual stats are illuminating, in the US
approx 10,000 angel financed startups, professional VCs might fund
~1,500, and of that only 10 or so are of any real market value
(measured as north of hundreds of millions market cap). Often once a
category killer gets established, it takes a very bold angel to back
another punt (though search seems to be hotting up again as semantic/
sentiment analysis is becoming in vogue ... last time I checked nearly
100 startups in this space).

In an earlier discussion of Silicon Beach web site, I proposed a form
of soapbox (think web widget) which can either be a movie or cloud
embedded app where startups could give a thumbnail overview of their
concept. I know that certain OpenInnovation intermediatories are
offering crowd-sourced voting (see CSICO iPrize) so it may well be
that if the number of applicants keep on increasing, a form of peer
ranking (think audience choice) may well be a mechanism to avoid
overloading the StartMate judges.

My only concern is whether this will go same way as BioTech firms
where Australian pass stage 1&2  trials only to be bought out before
going global.

Lawrence
http://nz.linkedin.com/in/drllau