I've worked with people over the years on projects via mailing lists and
skype chat/voice . Video-conferencing is over-kill for collaboration.

Face to face is crucial for expanding a relationship, and video conferencing
helps that...but it's not needed all the time.

Elias Bizannes
http://eliasbizannes.com