As someone who's wasted thousands of dollars and many hours on patents
I have to throw my weight behind the "don't bother" camp.

The best strategy for a startup, I believe, is to run fast and keep
the stuff that really matters to you close to your chest.
Fortunately, web-based businesses that allow you to put most of your
"smarts" server-side allow you to do both these things ;-)

Steve

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Nick Gonios <nickgon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on my experiences, it's all about  successful execution and having
> happy  /repeat users rather than protecting an idea, technology or process.

Stephen Young
CEO @ factnexus.com
Architect @ wik.me
Founding member @ knowledgerights.org