Hi,

Good luck on the launch! It is always an interesting time.. we are just
about to launch our Cloud into Public Beta, so its busy times for us as
well.

In answer to your questions, you should be looking for a VPS/Cloud based
solution that is highly available and is backed to centralised storage. If
you wish to host from your own server/vps (I assume the applications are
mission critical based upon your email), the options you should look out for
are as follows:

   - *High Availability* - check that your hosting provider is able to start
   up your instance on another server rapidly after a physical hardware
   failure. This requires the VM to be running on a network based storage
   device (such as a SAN) which allows it to be accessed on multiple physical
   hypervisors.
   - *Redundant Storage (Non Local) *- ensure that your vm is stored on a
   redundant, network attached, storage array. By redundant, I mean at least
   two physical storage arrays (not simply two management cards) on different
   physical servers/sans. Many providers use local RAID arrays, which are great
   for speed and latency, but tie your vm to that server. If this server has a
   hardware problem, you will be off the air until it is restored. Also this
   does not ensure good redundancy for storage as you are still backing to one
   array of disks.

For US based clouds, Amazon and Rackspace are the two well known, but bear
in mind that storage on Amazon is quite slow (EBS) and those on Rackspace
are backed to a local RAID10, so they are not multi-node redundant.

In regards to a CDN, these are used for delivering your large static files
more efficiently. Files are delivered by the node closest to the client, but
as this is done via caching it is usually only suitable for static content
such as images, js files and video content. If this is what you require, it
may be best for you to use AWS as you will be able to use EC2, EBS, S3 and
Cloudfront to both host the application and deliver content via a CDN.

If your application is latency sensitive, try to use providers in the
country with the greatest amount of clients, simply because it will make
applications run faster and usually has more locally specific support.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Hope this helps.

Cheers

*Sheng* *Yeo*
Director | Founder

*Orion Virtualisation Solutions* | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56 99 52