And just to add a little more here, as one of the mentors I'm aware there's
been a bit of criticism of the amount of info we've been sharing on this list
about the first StartMate class and the companies.

With this being the first Y-Combinator like seed program in Australia, and with
competition for spots being intense (including from some of the people on this
list), we could have done a better job keeping you up to date with what's going
on in the program.

Partly this has been a function of workload - Niki in particular has been
working crazy hours to make this first program successful when, frankly, a lot
of stuff was being learned as we went (as you'd expect for a first run). It is
a credit to him that the timelines have been met, the response in the Valley
has been so great and the startups have developed so much from where they were
as entrepreneurs, businesses and products just a few months ago.

But more so, this is also a result of wanting the focus to be on the companies
in the StartMate program, and not StartMate itself. As all of us growing
startups know, no plan survives contact with the [market|customer|investment
community|enemy], and given the rapid iterations the companies in the program
have been going through they understandably haven't wanted to go out too hard,
too early. Since we want the spotlight on them, we've deliberately stayed mute
as a program. Heck, we only updated the StartMate website with company info and
logos last week.

Hopefully the TC article whets the appetite to know a bit more about these
companies, and when they eventually get a few nights in their own bed and more
than 4 hours sleep perhaps some of them will be able to post here about some of
their experiences. I know I've been blown away with what I've seen in the
program, and I'm sure you'll be impressed when you read their stories too.

One final comment: without this list, and without this community, StartMate
wouldn't have been possible. These things have built upon the efforts and
participation of many, gradually growing our community over a number of years.
So, in a sense you all have contributed to getting StartMate off the ground,
and I hope that by growing the ecosystem, the awareness of it and hopefully by
demonstrating some great business successes, the StartMate alumni will help
grow this community and extend our own efforts in return.