Really depends on the app thought I do agree with the principle. We have 3
Core Modules though those modules have many different sub features. E.g.
E-Recruitment e-HR and Self-Service. Each will then Manage specific
processes. At the very beginning, we focus on building out the first,
launched it then started to focus on the second. We also have to establish
On-Demand platform/security prior, but the end user focus was based on this
core module.

We've been padding these modules out of the past 12 months with guidance
from Customers and Prospects

You have to be focused and Disciplined. Not to let your enthusiastic,
obessessive creative compulsion get the better of you... I am speaking from
my own experience here.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Rob James <james....@gmail.com> wrote:

>  A recent thread on here inspired me to think about "If I was to give a
> new tech startup any words of advice, what would it be?".
>
> There is one thing that annoys me when working in a startup, and its this
> conversation; "We are building awesome product X! It will need to do A, and
> then we need to  build B, and that means we can do C, and then we need to do
> D, after which we'll get everybody with E, and then..and then..........".
> And this becomes the initial product that is to be built!!!
>
> NO, NO, NO!!!
>
> My mantra here has always been "Pick 3 Features", just 3, no more, and
> that's what we'll do! If you can't get your killer product in 3 well
> designed and developed features, you need to go back to the drawing board.
> Its that simple. Think about the sites you use, how many features do you use
> on them? For example, as feature rich as Facebook is, how many features
> other than posting updates, an occasional photo and creating an occasional
> event (if that) do most people ever use?
>
> My Rule: Focus on only 3 features, build them out well, and make sure they
> are what makes your app. Then reflect on those features, if it still feels
> like the product is not ready - pick 3 more if you must. But ask yourself,
> "Are we sure its not enough to go live with these 3 features? Do we really
> want to continue developing in a silo, or can we introduce the product with
> only 3 features to users, and evolve it with them?"
>
> PS: This is actually really really hard, its much easier to get excited and
> talk about the whole product that you envisage in 3 years time. Try and
> focus on the most simplest things that makes it unique!
>
> What is one piece of advice you would give?
>
> Regards
>
> *Rob James*
>
>   --
>
> Guidelines on discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia/msg/351e183e1303508d?hl=en%3Fhl%3Den
>
> No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.

Regards,

Mathew French