In my experience the average tenure of an Aussie developer is 3 years
(excluding contractors who have the same mercenary attitude as a US engineer).

The average tenure of a Bay Area engineer is 15 months. The market is so hot
here right now that most engineers are commanding salaries double what they
were only a year ago. And their options demands here are high. If you don't
have an options pool or you have an Aussie option pool you're flat out of luck.

We're about to setup a new engineering team back in Brisbane AU because we are
a much more attractive proposition to a brissy boy than a San fran guy and I'm
not competing with Zynga (who are hiring 10 engineers a day) or facebook (the
hottest company to have on your CV). Also a lot of brissy engineers see the
option of travelling regularly to and possibly relocating to the US to be a
MAJOR plus. And the costs are generally about 85-90% of US employee (all things
accounted for e.g. Health, super, payroll etc). Plus on top of all that we
expect to get 2-3 years tenure out of them which is an unfathomable gain.

So run the math.... It's a no brainer regardless of the exchange rate.

The engineers here are not that much better than Australia on average for most
of our startup needs.  However if you have a niche or super hard problem (e.g.
One that needs 10 machine learning engineers) then you're more likely to find
them here (they all hang out at google and yahoo) and they're easy to attract
to a startup (cause they all want to leave there :). But you're still competing
with zynga and facebook.

My 2c

Patrick.

Sent from my iPhone