Hey Phil,

I'm a lawyer myself, although I don't work with patents. With that
said, s18 of the Patent Act might be of some basic assistance to you
(going beyond that involves delving into a lot of case law and
nuance). For what it's worth, patent applications can be very
expensive, and can certainly reach into the tens of thousands of
dollars, as application fees need to be met in every country for which
you'd like the patent to be applicable.

Whenever it has comes up in the past, we generally outsource our
patent work to Phillip Ormonde Fitzpatrick (http://www.pof.com.au) and
we've had good experience with them. If you do end up sitting down
with someone from there, let them know that my firm sent you.

Hope that helps, feel free to shoot me an email if you've got any
questions.

Kind Regards,

Richard Prangell
SurviveLaw.com/Kreisson Legal