For anyone trying to do 'mail merge' using Gmail, I found this
extremely helpful:

http://www.labnol.org/software/mail-merge-with-gmail/13289/

It provides a template you can copy to send personalised emails from a
spreadsheet of contacts. It's also relatively easy to adapt for anyone
without a coding background.