Michael

I like your hypothesis and your suggested amendments to the schedule.
Please let us know what your advisors come back with. Personally, I
think the company buying back the shares/cancelling them, is
preferable, but that's just me.

But I also just wanted to add, if I may, that there are provisions in
the Act which exempt the type of capital gain (value shifting) that
your accountant has identified, provided that the gain is below
certain thresholds. So if your company is still worth sweet FA (ie
nothing) when your shares 'vest' then the capital gain is exempt.

I think that on the whole, people should spend more time testing the
assumptions they have about their product and their customers than
worrying about this tax sh*t. What we want is to get to the point
where our company actually gets caught by provisions such as these. If
we rigorously test our assumptions, develop our business model and end
up getting traction, then that's the best time to start speaking to
genius tax lawyers/accountants who can advise on how to minimise
potential tax liabilities. Keeping it simple is the perfect place to
start.

Having said all that, if you can clarify the Startmate docs, then that
would be a win for the Australian start-up community.

All the best Silicon Beachers!

Cheers

Michael

PS - The ATO NEVER gives straight advice on the phone. They are a
bunch of pussies. The guys manning the phones are not lawyers, they
are phone-monkeys. They read prepared scripts. If you're really
desperate for a solid opinion from the ATO, one that will stand up on
appeal, you have to apply for a private ruling. If your accountant is
wasting your time ringing them up.... well it just makes me wonder.
The whole point of being a professional is to give a professional
opinion.