Hi Vanessa,

You probably need to be a little more specific, w.r.t. whether you are
looking for a co-founder (see cofounder2be.com, Cofounder Speed Networking,
etc) or whether you are willing to pay someone for contract work. There is
also a Silicon Beach jobs board.

Typically most web developers fall into a few categories - Ruby on Rails,
Node.js, Python / Django, Groovy / Grails, PHP / Cakewalk, and 100
different Java related frameworks. The technology you choose doesn't matter
too much although it has an impact on speed-to-market and potentially,
performance and scalability down the track. Its probably better to rely on
whatever framework your technical guru is most familiar with, because
learning a new framework takes time and experience to get up to speed.

You have front end (UI - user interface, UX - user experience) developers
or graphic designers who typically make things pretty in Photoshop and
focus more on the asynchronous (AJAX) stuff - like using Javascript, jQuery
or Prototype.js.

You also have back end developers who do the majority of the application
server and database work. Typically developers are good at either the Front
End (FE) or Back End (BE) but its rare to find someone who is exceptional
at both.

You may be able to piece together a solution based on existing open source
components, but judging from your (loose) requirements, there is a good
chance you will need a developer or someone who has done some of these
things before. In particular, a Pinterest-style site is likely to require
some heavy AJAX work, although I'm only guessing here as I'm not a
Pinterest user. However, an eCommerce engine you are likely to be able to
get off-the-shelf or from a company such as BigCommerce or Magento.

You can attend a variety of technical events related to different
technologies in your city (see meetup.com) and this may help you to find
expertise. For example, people who present at RORO Sydney or Melbourne, or
Node.js meetups will have great contacts in the industry and may be able to
speed up your search. However, IMO its much harder to find a tech
co-founder than a paid developer, as most tech co-founders either work full
time or are busy with a startup already.

Cheers,

Nigel