In 2007 a comedian went to his Dad (a Sequoia VC) and explained how
hard it was to find funny videos on YouTube. They came up with the
idea of a comedy site with a Hot or Not style voting system. After 6
months of negotiation, they persuaded comedian Will Ferrell to become
a partner and create some videos.

The site, http://www.FunnyOrDie.com launched with 30 videos, 29 of the
videos were horrible but one was The Landlord (http://
www.funnyordie.com/videos/74/the-landlord-from-will-ferrell-and-adam-ghost-panther-mckay).
Within a few days the site was one of the top 100 most trafficked web
sites in the world.

We thought we had a magic formula: video platform + anchor celeb + UGC
 = gold. We created an action sports site with Tony Hawk, a food site
with Tom Colicchio, a comedy site with Larry The Cable Guy and
expanded internationally (with sites in the UK & Brazil). Our head
count & burn rate rapidly went up with this investment.

In 2008 the economy started to sour. Our VC, Sequoia Capital had a
meeting with all their CEOs and presented these slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/eldon/sequoia-capital-on-startups-and-the-economic-downturn-presentation?type=powerpoint.
We were warned that tough times were ahead we needed to cut any fat
and focus.

We trimmed our team by 1/3, closed down all the extra sites and
international offices to completely focus on Funny or Die - something
that likely saved the company. Funny Or Die now has ~ 80 people, is
profitable and likely to make $40M in revenue this year:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/funny-or-die-will-ferrell-dark-knight-landlord-mike-tyson-adam-mckay-280412

Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_or_Die
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksmallcombe