If you are talking about Richard Branson there's few things
that are different between Sydney and the London of the 1980's.

Firstly, it has to be said Australia had an enormous amount of
talent at the same time as the Branson Empire started. We had
band after band, artist after artist making it big - both in the States
and in the UK. So let's not belittle our talent pool. Awesome talent
is what we had in that period.

What we didn't have, that Branson did have, was an enormously
musical/artistic place called London. His records didn't just sell
to the UK but all throughout Germany, France, Spain and everywhere
the records could physically go.

With respect to the Space travel, the UK already had Concorde
in his day, and so he's obviously aspired to do something along
those lines in later life. So why not.

Sure. Europe and the USA are good markets to sell in.

I'm not sure where the Australian Entrepreneurs that you want to
dump on are. I don't know what the capital intensive projects that
are failing all around actually are.

No sane Entrepreneur ever argues about the need to be profitable
although if you are dealing with Venture Capital, growth is more
important than dividends.

In large Tech businesses, they are grown without profits and then
sold off for huge amounts as equity. Check examples like Facebook,
youtube, hotmail etc.

If you did a financial comparison on the numbers, the advantages
are that millions of young people don't have to be dragged out of
their villages on trucks at night to get the same ROI. In fact there's
almost no human trafficking needed. That's why Tech is a much
better way to go than your suggestions so far.