okay.... tips from my experiences....

first - doing a patent is a lot of a) time b) money.... think about it.

next...tips that will save you a) time and b) money....

a) all diagrams must be BLACK and WHITE.  Sounds like no small thing
but.... it is.  That's all.  Screen shots - black and white. TIP - make
sure your prototyping tool can do bw, else you will be redoing them.
b) A4 is your friend.  In the world of software, any doc (if you do write
documentation outside of the code) is usually in an electronic form.  Paper
size doesn't matter.  ie. its a pdf, or a png on a web site.  In a patent,
a4 matters. So to do the magin sizes.  This effects flow charts (i know ,
only cobol programmers use them.... but they are good for patents).  This
leads to the next issue :
c) Font size.  it matters. make it big now and you don't have to redo later.
d) High level design docs... are better than low level detail.

Also, even for a provisional its all in the specification part.  here is
the rub - in your in house doc, the same thing probably has 3 or 4 names.
Some you created.  In the patent - make that one.  Else you will be doing a
lot of editing and redoing.

back to the specification - it needs to be right. unlike in house doc,
there isn't the room to work with what you have.  Changes once submitted
will likely  result in a reset of priority date.