I pointed out years ago the illogic of hashing a global semiotic system
(trademarks) into a limited alphanumerical name space (DNS) but no ...
welcome to the world of typosquatting etc ... Putting on my legal hat ... A
case can be made that Silicon Beach is a collective trademark (
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*Collective*_trade_*mark*) of technopreneurs of
Australian origin/orientation (unincorporated society??) with a possible
geographical indicator Silicon Beach Australia being the specific meetup
events in Manly/Sydney. Under international trademark law, it really needs
to be formally registered in each country you wish to espouse the ethos and
exclude free-riders otherwise it can be diluted and fall into common usage.

The reason why I would recommend such a move is pragmatic ... the
crowd-investing guidelines SEC are about to release
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/chancebarnett/2013/05/23/how-smart-angels-will-leverage-crowdfunding/).

If Silicon Beach Australia community (the unincorporated society legally
speaking) wants to promote a high standard of startups and get credibility
of overseas investors (given that the AU govt are navel-gazing and
pension-funds are clueless) then attaching the stamp of approval (whatever
that means) would be a signal that the startup is worthy of a second look
(if not necessarily funding ... investors follow fads as well).

PS ... it is not *steal* the brand ... call it dilution. LA can call theirs
silicon stage/sandlot if they wish (vague ref to movie industry).

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau