I reckon that ably demonstrates how you only have to have a few successes
to shift opinion. I think in those two categories we've got a few high
profile companies - Atlassian of course in Business Software and 99Designs,
Freelancer.com in marketplaces. Not too hard to list more in both
categories, so its not unreasonable for the VC to have that perception, but
I think you need to have those home runs like Atlassian for any perception
like that to take hold.

Maybe its not so much a question of what she would focus on, but what
shouldn't we focus on? I think getting a consumer startup going in
Australia is immeasurably harder, because you're a long distance away from
the early adopter crowd that tends to give those consumer apps their
initial kick along. However if I had to answer the question, I think
Australia is best suited to small-to-medium sized business software.
There's generally a big enough market here to get to profitability and get
a strong product developed and then a lot of those solutions will scale
without the need for big on-the-ground sales teams. They're not quite
Australian, but Xero is the perfect model I reckon. I don't think very
niche suits us either, as those markets tend to best suited by small sales
teams on the ground, so far more difficult to scale.

Phil Sim
Chief Executive Officer,
MediaConnect Australia Pty Ltd
www.mediaconnect.com.au