what you are asking for is anti-dilution provisions. What I've eyeballed
are situations where price paid for the shares may depend upon
circumstances of departure.   It may be at market value if the
founder/manager is deemed to be a  good leaver, or it might be considerably
less in the case of a bad leaver (eg breach employment contract or
resigns). A note of caution I recall the case of Donaldson v FCT which
dealt with the tax assessability of options. Here the tax Commissioner
argued that the interest acquired by the employee was assessable in the
YEAR the interest was GRANTED and assigned an arbitrary value to the notes
depending on the year in which the options were exercisable. Don't end up
in a situation where because of cashflow, the company owes a debt but the
tax bill is immediate.Whilst a trust may appear complicated to founders,
they serve a purpose in arms-length dealings. Currently the ATO operates a
transferor trust regime as applied to family trusts, particularly of the
discretionary type. (see Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 Part III of
Division 6AAA). Unfortunately if you look at family court, the veil of
trust privacy is increasingly being disregarded (in favor of wider public
policy).

My suggestion is to sit and and work out the risk matrix (likelihood v
impact) and focus on the biggest issues, seeking professional tax/legal
advice where appropriate.Starting a serious company is not a hobby and
especially if you want to attract professional investors down the track, a
clean capital structure makes things so much easier for everyone.

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau

however, i'd point out that putting shares in a trust is NO guarantee
somebody won't get hit with massive capital gains tax down the track.