Yeah, that doesn't seem like a very good deal to me either. Standard terms
I'm seeing here in the Bay area are seed rounds of $500K-$1MM on a cap of
around $4MM. Even if you halve these numbers for the Aussie market and see
$250K on a $2MM cap (12.5%), having 2.5x of equity sold for a third of the
amount of money seems like a pretty crappy deal. And while I'm sure there
are some startups out there (somewhere?) that would be excited by going to
market with a large, bureaucratic partner, I can't see 7.5x worse deal
attracting any decent startup :-(

That being said, Westpac getting involved shouldn't be roundly rejected,
even if the model doesn't look very attractive right now. It could be
compelling if the startup can buy the equity back at Westpac's commercial
interest rate in the first 24 months. This page
<http://www.westpac.com.au/business-banking/business-loans/tools-calculators-rates/business-loans-interest-rate2/>
shows
the small business growth rate at 7.01%, so if the founders can buy their
equity back for $86.25K it could make sense - Westpac would also get some
smart tech people trying to solve problems that they and their customers
care about, and would be in the driver's seat to invest in the first
properly priced round, and if all of the investments are duds they can be
written off as equity invested without return as opposed to a bad debt.

*Geoff McQueen*
*Founder & CEO*