The origins of no-liability date back 150 years. The British Company Act of
1862 limited liability of shareholders to that of unpaid amount, carried
forward up to 1 year after the partly paid shares were sold (cf insolvency
recovery). No liability came about as a way to evade the cost-accounting
regulations applied to utilities and escape solvency requirements for
banks. Limited liability only matured for mining companies late 19th
century and from memory, no liability rules were never intended for
investor protection.

I'm still stuck on why share agreements for public blue sky mining
companies should be applied in general for any startup. Mining creates
incredible downstream byproduct wastes and regulators have usually wanted
the owners to put up bonds, environmental performances, and cleanup
deposits. Now the usual rule is if there's partly paidup shares and you
miss the callup, the share is usually "lost" (most articles of association
have share is controlled or restricted by company until fully paid/vested).

I'm a little concerned about investors treating shares as options ... let
black be black and white be white ... which points to the continued
undercapitalisation of startups and more onus shifting onto the founders
(sweat equity) without giving up the upside to outsiders. As I keep on
telling my clients, the termsheet is the new employment contract. so
anything that shifts the balance against the naive or inexperienced, I
start to smell something fishy.

There is need to attract patient capital, I've seen proposals for Buy&Hold
Equity which is intended for 15 year+ infrastructure which is hybrid
restricted equity but with preferential treatment on dividends. I've seen
no voting but participating in economic benefit shares. All these are
mechanisms to optimise the capital structure but I question the need at
such an early stage. Caution against premature optimisation applies to
money as well as code.

whilst there are problems with australia (lack of experienced product
development skillsets and distance from supply chains), IMHO tweaking the
early capital structure is not going to change the fundamentals as the
value of angels is their time and connections, not the fact they can now
have a bigger liquidity preference multiplier.

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau