Adam,

Go for it!

I went through this with one of the first fully-wired-for-internet families in
Melbourne,
and though I’m now a grandfather and not personally in need of it, support the
concept.

With my own three sons, my strategy was to wire internet to their rooms
(wireless now
isn’t location-sensitive of course) and I believe that was a mistake. Children
should have
a location in the house where they can do homework research in a public place,
not in
private. I’m not sure how a “filter box” can achieve that.

I built a comprehensive monitoring firewall with web filtering, on an old PC
running OpenBSD.
I showed the boys the logs that are collected, and told them that I can check
any time I like,
so they need to exercise good behaviour. As a result of this, I almost never
*needed* to check
the logs, and over more than a decade, only had to gently chide one of them
twice. That is,
the boys were given a lot of freedom, but learned that nothing is truly
private. I believe that
was an effective strategy for Real Life(tm). You can speed, but eventually
you’ll get caught.

However, the lure of web comics and other innocent time-wasters was too much,
and I think
their studies were badly affected. I can’t really complain; one has an
excellent single and two
have double degrees in STEM fields, and all have good jobs, relationships and
further career
prospects. But in general, their teenage years had too much downtime looking at
a screen.

I hope that is some help to you in your endeavours, and perhaps to others here
who are
embarking on the most challenging startup of all: fledging great children.

Clifford Heath.