Hi all -- just sending a quick update on the Melbourne Accelerator Program
(MAP). For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a program out of
the University of Melbourne where we give $20k in funding (asking no equity
in return), office space for a year, and mentoring and other resources to
startups. We're in our 5th year and this year have 10 spots available.

Our past startups have had some good wins -- so far the 24 teams have gone
on to raise over $10m in funding and many other accomplishments and it's
still early days. I'm the entrepreneur in residence for the program, which
means I volunteer and assist the program while running my business out of
the shared office.

The BIG news that went somewhat under the radar because it happened at the
last minute: previously, to be eligible to apply to MAP, you had to be a
student/staff/alumni of qualifying programs at Melbourne Uni within the
past five years. That five year requirement got lifted a couple weeks ago
-- we are now open to student, staff or alumni of *any year* from our
participating faculties (which is most faculties)!
(Details: http://themap.co/map-startup-accelerator/)

So if you have any team member/co-founder who attended the University of
Melbourne as student or staff, at any time, (from participating faculties)
you are eligible to apply.

Applications are due *April 17*, so there is still plenty of time. I'm
giving an application workshop tonight but unfortunately it's fully sold
out -- however, the video will be up on our website soon and I encourage
anyone interested in applying to watch it.

The word has not fully gotten out about our broadening of eligibility, so
I'd ask for your help in spreading the word! This is just one step towards
making the program more inclusive but it's a big one and we'd love to see
people who were previously ineligible applying this year.

I'd also mention that we have a somewhat unusual luxury as a non-commercial
accelerator in that we are open to a MUCH broader set of ideas and
companies than most commercial accelerators, because we view "return" from
our teams as a much broader concept than purely financial returns. This
means that if you have different/weird ideas that other accelerators
haven't responded well, or if you have a non-traditional business, we'd
love to hear from you! Although our 24 teams so far mostly fit the mold of
what you think of as traditional tech-style startups, that's an attribute
of who has applied so far, not necessarily what we look for. We love seeing
unique different ideas, and we absolutely include "social enterprise" and
not-for-profit startup ideas in our mission.

If you have any questions about the program, feel free to ask -- I make
myself fully available for anyone interested in the program and run open
office hours out of Lab-14 on campus.

Jeremy