Simran,

Topic after my heart .. my 12yo son has written quite a few projects in
Scratch over the past few years, most recently a "chat bot".  He's kind of
at the point where the logic is a bit complex for a visual code builder and
would be simpler as code.  With a bit of help he's managed to get colored
objects bouncing around and colliding using javascript and the html5 canvas
api...

Another site we looked at was Khan Academy -
https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/programming

What I _really_ like about all this is not just the code part, also its a
way for kids to learn _math_ : which is more visual, experimental and kind
of tactile ( you'll never forget pythagoras' rule for working out distance
if you've used it to detect collisions in a game).

The other thing I'm discussing with my sons school is a "Math Circle" for
students who perhaps find the core material a bit easy, and like the kind
of math problems you see in, say, the Australian Math Competition.  Circles
have worked well overseas, but as far as I know only one group in Aus doing
this ( in WA ).

Some of my thoughts on perhaps combining the two approaches, on my blog -
https://quantblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/mathcircle-with-code/

Always happy to swap notes, feel free to pm me etc,

cheers,

gord.

Melbourne