To understand why Dean is so excited, let's review the performance specs

Parameter Value
Latency in the air link <1ms
Latency end-to-end (device to core) <10ms
Connection density100x compared with LTE
Area capacity density 1Tbit/s/km2
System spectral efficiency10bit/s/Hz/cell
Peak throughput (downlink) per connection10Gbit/s
Energy efficiency >90% improvement over LTE

Let's think through the implications
- millisecond latency, real-time stereo video is 120 Hz, can can now have
isochronous multi-cast AV
- roundtrip latency <10ms ... this is a key threshold for interactivity, eg
haptic feedback for industrial applications
- connection density - better scaling in crowds areas without additional
towers,
- programable micro-cells enable fog computing which combines cloud with
edge caching
- TCP/IPv6 ... no need for NAT, direct P2P (if can get rid of that
cumbersome SIP)
- reduced battery = smaller wearable dedicated devices or extended life IoT
disposable use until no-charge

like most tech, there'll be hype in the short time but if it goes from a
metered system to an all-you-can-eat bandwidth (much like ISPs moved from
modems to continuous internet in 90s) then you will see some radical
changes.