On 1/17/06, Suresh Ramasubramanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Badri Natarajan wrote:
>
> > But yes, it is a tax on transactions by the government - big revenue
> > earner too. The use of stamp duty is decreasing though - as I recall, only
> > two things (under English law) are still subject to it - sales of
> > land/immovable property, and sales of shares.
>
> And I think notarized affidavits or depositions get a revenue stamp
> stuck on them, besides the signed / sealed / delivered thing.

Now that I think about it, the only thing I see around here (in
the US) that has a tax stamp on it is imported liquor.  I
sometimes hear quiet tales of bootlegged untaxed liquor
smuggled down from Canada, and it won't have a tax
stamp, that's for sure.  I've never heard of anyone bothering
to forge one of those.  The usual dodge is to save your old
bottles and refill them with the bootlegged stuff, so if the
ATF ever check, the bottles are clean. Of course, the last
time I heard of such goings on was over 10 years ago, so
maybe the bar owners are getting more sophisticated.

Regulating the paper as well as stamp is an interesting
twist, though.  Sometimes I'll see a notary with both a
raised seal stamp as well as an ink stamp for documents;
the document is registered in a book, and the ink part has
the notary's signature.  So it takes more than just the
paper to provide authentication, there's an audit path that
can be followed to verify that a supposedly notarized doc
is valid.  Miss a check on that audit path, and the doc
loses its standing.

Anne Marie
--
Moral Indignation is Jealousy with a halo.
H.G. Wells, The Wife of Sir Isaac Harman (1914)