On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 05:59, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
> I think a goodly percentage of the population here will find this amusing...
>
> >Werner Heisenberg, Kurt Godel and Noam Chomsky walk into a bar.
> >Heisenberg looks around the bar and says, "Because there are three of
> >us and because this is a bar, it must be a joke.  But the question
> >remains, is it funny or not?"  And Godel thinks for a moment and
> >says, "Well, because we're inside the joke, we can't tell whether
> >it's funny.  We'd have to be outside looking at it."  And Chomsky
> >looks at both of them and says, "Of course it's funny.  You're just
> >telling it wrong."

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician find themselves in an
anecdote; indeed an anecdote quite similar to many which you've no doubt
already heard.  After some observations and rough calculations, the
engineer realizes the situation and starts laughing.  A few minutes
later, the physicist understands too and chuckles to himself happily, as
he now has enough experimental evidence to publish a paper.  This leaves
the mathematician somewhat perplexed, as he had observed right away that
he was the subject of an anecdote, and deduced quite rapidly the
presence of humor from similar anecdotes, but considers this anecdote to
be too trivial a corollary to be significant, let alone funny.

--B

--
Brian McNett:  Forensic Spam Investigator
Work:               <http://consult.spamresource.com/>