On 4/25/06, Nandkumar Saravade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Secondly, if you know the layout of the organisation, you can route your
> complaint to the topmost bosses (which, if nothing, ensures that the lower
> ones don't just trash it) and everywhere else to have statistically a better
> chance of being notice.

How many people have the contacts to route compliants to the senior officials?

> Then there are overseeing authorities like the Anti Corruption Bureau (for
> corruption charges), the Human Rights Commission and the Lokayukta.

Organisations such as the ACB and the Lokayukta are not without their
own 'hierarchy' and procedure.

I have also come across instances where the day after a 'raid' by the
CBI/ ACB / Lokayukta at a government office followed by 'suspension'
of officials, corruption continues like nothing ever happened.

I recall a newspaper report in the Deccan Herald [mid April] where the
Lokayukta was under the scanner for expensive travels!!!!

> The newly enacted Right to Information Act is actually a great development,
> which can open up the working of the government like nothing else.

Though it provides a time frame (30 days) within which a response is
to be given, to get information under the Right to Information Act can
also be very time consuming. A simple response can take as long as 6
months.

The Act provides for a 'deemed refusal' if no response is given within
the specified period. Of course, a person aggrieved does have the
option of appealing, but that again is time consuming.

Having said that, the Act does provide for a penalty and disciplinary
action for a violation of the provisions of the Act. If a person is
aware of the provisions of the Act, it does help in getting a quicker
response [3-4 months for a simple response].