Well - I put a comment on livejournal - I will just cut and paste it here:

It sounds like you have been screwed. After the guy apologised to you, your
complaint, in my opinion will get nowhere if you go back to the same station.

 I believe that you should write a polite letter describing the entire
incident, names and all to the police commissioner, sent by registered post,
but a copy needs to be sent to others as well - I suggest a lawyer. Nothing
much will come of it, but at least it is likely to leave a mark on the cop in
question.

 I am a member and an ex president of a local residents association. We have
cordial relations with the police - but find that it is the higher ups that
you can relate to much better and who understand that some of the beat chaps
are ax-oles.

shiv