> On Wed September 6 2006 6:06 pm, Nandkumar Saravade wrote:
>>  civil society needs to get involved at this stage itself
>> to put in its point of view, especially on issues of police
>> accountability, oversight and complaints redressal.  Please visit
>> http://mha.nic.in/padc.htm for more details.
>
> Thank you for the link. I will probably take my time reading the draft
> act.
>
> But please tell me, how can civil society get involved at this stage?

Apart from local measures, I think civil society's involvement in lobbying
for various legislative measures would help. In the short term, lobbying
to preserve and strengthen the RTI Act. More long term, trying to make
local government (municipalities,etc) more independent from the state govt
(so that someone whose powerbase is in rural Karnataka is not responsible
for Bangalore). And even more long term, structurally guaranteeing (some)
independence for the police from the govt (especially state govt). I don't
think the police should have the kind of independence the courts or the
Election Commission have - they *are* an arm of the executive..but the
situation right now is ridiculous.

Badri