On 07-Sep-06, at 7:10 PM, Badri Natarajan wrote:

Just to add to Shiv here - saying "Hindu dominated" is not necessarily the same as saying "India is a Hindu country". I think, as a factual matter,
that India is indeed Hindu dominated. I do NOT think India is a "Hindu
country", because that implies there is some kind of state preference for
Hinduism, and other religions are (in some way) second class.

Let's get down to the bottom of this:

1. Define "Hindu".

2. Where did you learn this definition of Hindu from? Was it introduced by the educational system?

2a. If educational system, is the definition similar to those introduced by other educational systems?

3. What percentage of the country do you believe agrees with you on your definition of Hindu?

A phrase like "Hindu dominated India" makes no sense unless one first defines what "Hindu" is and what the nature of the domination is. I believe we are in agreement that "India" refers to the political entity of the Republic of India and as far as this discussion is concerned, does not have an opinion on itself since that raises the divergent issue of which specific individuals authorised that opinion.

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://jace.seacrow.com/