On 07-Sep-06, at 9:43 PM, sastry wrote:

The big deal to me is that the statement has a bias. The statement says that
India is Hindu dominated and as you have guessed - it leaves it to the
listener to figure out what that might mean.

Why would the announcer want to say "Hindu dominated India" rather than "India"? Surely there must be some meaning in there? Do you suppose the people who wrote the script of the news item "Pakistan and India have been to war three times over the status of Kashmir, which is the only Muslim majority state in Hindu dominated India" were wrestling with questions like "What is
Hindu" and "What does domination mean"?

I doubt it. I am sure the scriptwriters had one meaning in mind - and that was the meaning they thought they were conveying. The India that fights with Pakistan is not just India, but it is Hindu dominated India. They were not splitting hairs about whether a Jain feels Hindu or not. They have no such confusion. To them the answer to the question "How would you characterize
India?" is simply "A Hindu dominated nation"

I agree with the rest of your post but for this bit. Surely the script writers also had some thought for what viewers they were writing for?

If one assumes a Western Christian viewer who may be inclined to assume Muslim vs an assumed Christian majority, then it becomes important to clarify that it is Hindu, not Christian.

Why Indian media does not see it necessary to describe the US as "Christian dominated" is anyone's guess, but it has nothing to do with how Western media represents India. The audiences are different.

Western media is indeed guilty of assuming it knows what is best for the east, but this is hardly new. It's been going on for centuries. There's a whole body of work in post-colonial and subaltern studies examining just this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_%28book%29

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://jace.seacrow.com/