On 10/13/06, Kragen Javier Sitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Many churches in the US have gorgeous stained-glass windows which are
now encased between sheets of cloudy, yellowed plexiglas to protect
from thrown stones.

In the Northeast  (where I live) most of the plexiglas covering stained glass windows is to keep in heat during the winter.  So - there might be more than one explanation for this.

Everything else - agree.

Other examples?

Not sure about this - but when I go to malls it seems that they try to keep everything as open as possible. There might be some security device at the door that you walk through - but they try to keep the lines of sight as open as possible so you don't feel spied on. But when they close the doors on individual stores there is often a hidden grate or something that pops up and looks like you're in a terrible neighborhood. Which one is the real picture of security?

When I was in Sichuan this summer the only places I saw that had large amounts of broken glass on top of concrete walls were monestaries.  These were in very rural areas.