I think it is a bit unfair to blame HR. The problem starts with the resumes, and how they are doctored and the inconsistencies in these resumes.  And then if you factor in how HR harvests these doctored stack of resume it is a bit challenging and naturally they come across as being inefficient.

Indian HR folks actually are much better when compared to their international counterparts when it comes to assessing and figuring out inconsistencies.

In my extensive interviews with start-up and HR folks the common thread was that they are strapped for time, and people should have been hired yesterday.

I am not an HR person and neither am in the recruiting business. Just an innocent bystander.

Kamla

Srini RamaKrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Biju Chacko wrote:
> On 30/10/06, Kragen Sitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>> The problem is most emphatically NOT that Indians are bad engineers.
>> I have hired some truly great (world class) engineers here, but they
>> are very hard to pick out from the sea of less than stellar
>> candidates.
>
> This is extremely accurate. For the last six months, I've been
> spending 30% of my time on interviews. Our current hit ratio is
> something like 3% -- our conversion ratio is more like 1%. So we
> interview a 100 people -- give offers to 3 and only 1 joins.

I think this is also a symptom of clueless HR who can't read resumes
properly.

The HR definition of hunting for a skilled programmer is limited to
finding the name of the programming language on the resume and counting
the years of "experience". Hence, indeed you can truly at least get an
interview slot if you can spell Java correctly.

I usually prefer finding resumes on my own on Monster - I usually only
interview 5 or 6 people before I find someone who I am looking for.

Of course, I agree with the grand parent post's observations. Affordable
programming talent with even a modicum of a work ethic is very scarce in
India at the moment.

Cheeni