Venkat Mangudi wrote:
Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
Hooray for not-quite-modern forensic not-quite-science.

-- ams
Can you suggest some alternatives? I do not condone these methods, but I suspect India is a few years away from CSI style forensics.

I agree completely. Most of us would like to have first-world standards of human rights and professionalism in law enforcement, with third-world levels of investments in creating institutions.

Ideally, such invasive methods of finding the truth should be the last resort, after all other avenues of gathering physical evidence have been explored. Since police in India do not have the luxury of much exposure to scientific investigation, they reach for the silver bullet - encounters in some cases and narco-analysis in other.

Regards

Nandkumar