On 20/02/07, Srini RamaKrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As far as I know the MacBook Pro C2D supports 802.11 a/b/g officially,
and draft "n" unofficially. However, my notebook doesn't detect an
802.11a network. Co-workers tell me that Macs sold in India have 802.11a
support disabled since it is not an allowed spectrum in India. Would
anyone have more information? My favorite search engine is not being
very helpful right now.

Your colleague seems to be correct. The TRAI's website is a horrible
mess, but some judicious googling came up several whitepapers etc.
that talk about de-licensing the 5GHz band for 802.11a use, they also
seem to acknowledge that 11a's acceptance is going to be low because
of 11b/g and possibly 11n. What I could eventually make out is that
5GHz is indeed not available for public use, and de-licensing it will
take time so as to migrate existing users away.

http://www.trai.gov.in/trai/upload/Recommendations/21/Recommendations%20on%20Internet%20and%20Broadband%202004-04-29%20FINAL.pdf

Binand