On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:28:10PM +0530, shiv sastry wrote:

> Hmm - a quick calculation tells me that "thousands of particles" is correct.
> In fact 19.635x10^23 thousand particles should give you a nice 1 micron thick
> layer all over earth 25 Km up.

Encouraging jets to fly high and use ice-nucleating fuel additives,
or just inject some ice nucleators somewhere into the exhaust stream
would make a large difference.

Particles don't stay up long, see volcanic eruptions.

Dumping iron fertilizer into some specific sea locations at
specific times will fixate a lot of CO2.

Turning to methane will greatly reduce the amount of CO2/Joule,
especially if used in direct-methane and direct-methanol fuel cells.

Photovoltaics is almost CO2-neutral/Joule (unlike uranium nuclear
power -- thorium much less so), especially the newer cell types.
I expect dirt cheap 60-80% efficient PV cells towards the end of
my natural lifespan.

Turning away from wet rice and reduce the cow population would
greatly reduce the amount of methane dumped into the atmosphere.