So all of this spam discussion has been primarily from the side of how
to filter for it.

When I'm not busy studying game developers and the game industry I'm
the editorial assistant for the peer reviewed journal, Cultural
Anthropology (Chris K's geeks and social imaginaries article was
published in it).

Anyway, lately we've been having a rash of being identified as spam
and getting rejected emails from folks we're requesting to review
articles. We send out all of these emails from a system called
bepress.com which helps us manage submissions, requesting reviewers,
and all of that stuff. We've actually also had a case or two of
authors being given response emails who have not received them.
Sometimes we receive bounces, other times we do not.

The implications are that for those folks we can't get in touch with
over email, we're likely to pick another reviewer, which affects who's
included in the peer-review process.

Here is a sample header (My rpi.edu is forwarded to gmail which you
can see. All emails sent by the system are also sent to the editor,
who has a quasi-guid assigned to them, which you'll also see, though
I'm trimming/editing some of this to prevent spammers from scraping
the info):

Cc: "Assigned Editor" <[My "GUID" I guess: editor-can-1079-716961]
{AT} services [DOT] bepress {dot} com>