And this just in:

"Osram has developed a small light-emitting diode spotlight that
achieves an output of more than 1,000 lumens for the first time.
That's brighter than a 50-watt halogen lamp, thereby making the device
suitable for a broad range of general lighting applications. The Ostar
Lighting LED, which will be launched on the market this summer, can
provide sufficient light for a desk from a height of two meters, for
example. Its small size also enables the creation of completely new
lamp shapes."

http://www.physorg.com/news93198212.html