of course, minimalist art can indeed be entirely in the eye of the beholder,
unless augmented by some explanation of the artist's intention. here is
malevich:
The black square on the white field was the first form in which nonobjective
feeling came to be expressed. The square = feeling, the white field = the void
beyond this feeling. Yet the general public saw in the nonobjectivity of the
representation the demise of art and failed to grasp the evident fact that
feeling had here assumed external form. [1]

-rishab
1. http://www.rollins.edu/Foreign_Lang/Russian/suprem.html