This reminds me of the following critique on what would be called by The New
Republic "Cute-o-Nomics" -- the idea of using economics to answer trivial,
but amusing questions (although, in this situation, only the subject and
cheekyness of the writing really qualifies).

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?pt=v6SQ0ZfMvgDefMZaRQ0gQS%3D%3D

They didn't really factor in a few things that under the "seat-up" position,
add to costs against Marsha that John will be less likely to face -- e.g.,
sitting down on a 'wet' raised seat, especially after you stumble into the
bathroom in the dark.  Nothing says 'HELLO!' quite like a cold seatless
toilet on a bare rear end.

Though, I'm firmly in agreement with others -- why is it that guys can't
just make the freakin bowl when they urinate?  Is it that hard?

Carey

On 6/4/07, Deepa Mohan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/4/07, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> summary: it is inefficient as a social norm, but perfect equilibrium,
> once the cost of women yelling at men who leave the seat up is modelled.

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/the-social-norm-of-leaving-the-toilet-seat-down-a-game-theoretic-analysis/

oh, my goodness, how do these scientific types write all that with a
straight face?...probably their faces WERE a little flushed...

I am sorry but I just could NOT read through that!

Deepa.